Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot
If you have never had a hot pot meal, then the Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot is definitely something you want to try. It's not just a meal: it's an experience! Hot pot (Chinese fondue) is a method of preparing food that has a 1000-year history and yes, it did originate in Mongolia. The Mongolian Hot Pot and Grill serves up fresh, tasty food that is both healthy and fun! Need I say more?
How it Works
- Choose a soup broth. You can choose original or spicy. If you're adventurous, you can choose both: it will come in a large wok-like bowl that is divided in the middle so you can have original and spicy broth.
- Choose a variety of meats, vegetables, and other stuff (tofu, mushrooms, dumplings, noodles).
- When the food comes, add the meats and vegetables into the broth and let it cook. As the food simmers in the hot pot, fish out and eat the stuffs that are ready. Fresh and fun.
- Note that chunky vegetables like potatoes take a long time to cook. Leafy vegetables like spinach cook very quickly. Meats cook quickly because they are sliced paper thin: be sure that it is cooked well to prevent food poisoning.
- You can choose to add foods at a slow and leisurely pace so that you can enjoy the experience while you converse with friends and family. Or, you can choose to put everything into the hot pot right away and let it cook as fast as possible.
The soup base is the key ingredient. It's not your regular "chicken soup base" rather it is an aromatic concoction filled with herbs, spices and secret ingredients many of which are familiar to Asian but are a mystery to everyone else. Of the ones I saw, I recognize cardamom seeds, garlic, straw mushrooms and goji berries.
The meats (beef, pork, chicken, lamb) are frozen and then sliced thin so they cook quickly. Seafood is left in large chunks since they tend to cook quickly anyway. The vegetables are fresh and plentiful. Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot also serves up BBQ skewers, rice, dumplings, meat pies and other delicious foods.
Children's menu not available. Beer, wine and sake served on premises. Vegetarian choices available. Comes with tea (free).
Dining room is spacious and bright. Seating arrangements can be table-format or booth-style. Bar side seating also available. All tables are equipped with a central hot plate so the hot pot stays hot. Sectioned off areas offers semi-private dining space. Decor is contemporary: mainly black & white mounted photos of Mongolian scenes. Some mounted traditional, musical instruments and clay slabs.
Most employees are of Asian descent so that communications may require patience and understanding on both sides.. For the most part, your food is brought to you and then you are left to eat it at your own pace. If you require help, get up and ask them because they are not going to come ask you. All things considered: service is adequate and within range of typical Asian restaurants.
Washrooms are new and clean.
Free parking available curtsy of mini shopping mall.
Location and Details
4718 Clairemont mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92117
see Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot menu
go to web site
back to restaurants page
go to site map